By Acupuncturist Dr. Jeannette “Jett” Kerns, AP, DOM, L.Ac., St. Cloud, FL owner of East Lake Acupuncture
E-Stim (EMS) or Muscle Stim stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation or Neuro-Muscular Electrical Stimulation. The key here is the waveform that it outputs is different than that of a T.E.N.S and it affects MUSCLE. EMS is used to deliver electrical impulses to the body, in order to make the muscles contract.
- Muscle pain and tension (great for those upper traps, tension headaches & sore muscles)
- Muscle toning, building and strengthening
- Muscular rehabilitation (Post surgery or injury)
- Prevention of muscle atrophy
- Recovery from workouts, injury or surgery – Removes lactic acid, increases local circulation
- Injury prevention – Helps warm up muscles before exercise
- Reduced muscle spasms
- Improved healing
T.E.N.S. stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. The key here is the NERVE part. T.E.N.S. is a “pain blocker.” The buzzing sensation is thought to block the pain signal from the nerve to where it is perceived in the brain as pain. T.E.N.S. units are also thought to aid in the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural pain fighting mechanisms.
- Joint pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Foot pain (especially nerve pain)
Do I Need Both an E-Stim and a T.E.N.S. Unit?
T.E.N.S./EMS Combo – An example of somebody who could benefit from a TENS/EMS combination unit is an active sportsperson who works at a desk and suffers from lower back pain. They would be able to use the T.E.N.S function to relieve their back pain and the EMS could be used to help strengthen their muscles as part of their training program.
- Fibromyalgia pain
- Multiple Sclerosis pain
- Pain affecting both muscles and joints
- Rotator cuff or knee injuries
Where To Buy:
We’ve compiled a list of reputable sellers on Amazon.com. Avoid fakes and knockoffs by visiting: https://amzn.to/2P6QuZt for direct links to reputable sellers OR buy locally at:
East Lake Acupuncture, LLC
1401 Budinger Ave., Ste. B
Saint Cloud, FL 34769