Released By Osceola School District
As the Osceola School District continues to build a college-going culture for students, all schools will celebrate College Week from August 26 – August 30, 2019. This show of support for higher education is intended to spread the college knowledge to students in prekindergarten through twelfth grade, and will highlight the importance of being college-ready. Numerous awareness activities are planned as part of College Week 2019:
· Monday, August 26 – “Military Monday” – Students and parents are invited to wear camouflage to celebrate our students with plans for serving our country after high school or attending one of the military branches’ prestigious academies.
· Tuesday, August 27 – “Trade Tuesday” – Students are invited to wear clothes that depict their future career or trade.
· Wednesday, August 28 – “Show Me The Money Wednesday” – Students can wear neon colors to promote Florida Bright Futures and other financial aid options. Students and parents are invited to learn about financial aid, including grants, loans, Bright Futures, scholarships, and more to help pay for post-secondary education.
· Thursday, August 29 – “Rush Thursday” –Students and parents are invited to show their school spirit by wearing a spirit shirt. Schools will be highlighting special programs, clubs, athletics, and more.
· Friday, August 30 – “National College Colors Day” – The district invites all students, employees, parents, and community members to proudly wear their college colors on this day.
Also as part of College Week, students and parents across the district are invited to attend a “Surviving College Admissions” workshop hosted by Johns Hopkins University on August 27 at Osceola High School from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Students and parents can register for the workshop at calendly.com/cook/surviving-college-admissions-2019.
Individuals participating in College Week activities are encouraged to post a photo on social media tagging @osceolaschools and using #SDOCGoodtoGreat and #CollegeWeek19. Parents and students can also follow Anthony Cook, Coordinator of College and Career Counseling, on the district’s Instagram account to gain information about the topics of the day and participate in contests to win prizes. A complete list of daily activities for Osceola School District’s College Week 2019 can be found at osceolaschools.net/SDOCCollegeWeek2019.