By Acupuncturist Dr. Jeannette “Jett” Kerns, AP, DOM, L.Ac., St. Cloud, FL owner of East Lake Acupuncture
If you’re feeling a little antsy about hosting holiday get-togethers, the ancient art of smudging can clear your space of any negative vibes and set good intentions for the days to come. Stress and tension can build up and leave a home feeling oppressive. Those negative feelings can be cleansed, leaving your home feeling lighter and more positive.
What Is Smudging?
Smudging is the ceremonial burning of certain incense to purify a person, place or object. Incense smoke symbolically purifies all that it touches. This is best illustrated by the richly symbolic practice in the Chaldean Rite of the Catholic Church.
Why Sage Your Space?
- Pre and post-holiday cleansing and house blessings
- During or after periods of emotional stress (divorce, grief, anger, depression, even crabby teens)
- Illness in the home (physical or emotional)
- Unwanted spirits
Choosing Your Smudging Medium
If you simply wish to cleanse your home for the holidays to promote a happy vibe, we recommend sage or a blend of sage and lavender or sweetgrass. However, there are many types of sage and other smudging mediums, each with its own energetic properties.
- Sage: Sage is said to clear ALL energy, the good and the bad. Sage smoke permeates a space, pushing unwanted energies out.
- Sweetgrass (holy grass): Often combined with sage to remove negativity and attract positive energy.
When Sage Isn’t Enough
Sage is the most commonly used smudging medium; however, for more persistent negative energies or unwanted spirits, sage may not be enough. A few recommendations for boosting the smudging power of sage are:
- Black Sage (Mugwort): When you want to cleanse the atmosphere of your space and need something super-heavy-duty, beyond normal white sage, Mugwort is perfect and is used to protect against evil spirits.
- Yerba Santa: Yerba Santa is burned to aid with spiritual journeys and can help you find your innermost self or deep, spiritual cleansing. An excellent choice for new beginnings after a relationship ends or when starting on a new career path and you need to leave emotional baggage behind.
- Cedar: Used to cleanse and protect persons and places from unwanted influences. Ideal for house blessings or protecting a person, place or object from unwanted influences or negativity such as an abusive relationship or paranormal activity.
- Copal: Copal is used for love, purification, uplifting, protection, exorcism, banishment of spirits, protection, cleansing or spirituality. Copal is a powerful additive to sage for cleansing a space and when combined with sage and frankincense, it’s very powerful.
- Frankincense & Myrrh: Holy smoke! Not only do they smell great, this dynamic duo creates a powerful catalyst for clearing negative energy and unwanted spirits. When combined they can clear negative energy and illusions that stand in the way of seeing the truth and even work as an effective antidepressant, leaving spaces feeling pure and uplifting.
- Palo Santo: Related to Frankincense, Myrrh and Copal. Valued for its purifying and cleansing properties as well as its ability to get rid of evil spirits and misfortune.
To purchase sage or learn more about smudging visit East Lake Acupuncture online or at their location in St. Cloud. www.eastlakeacu.com